We love TEAM!
United could not happen without our incredible team of volunteers. It's an amazing opportunity to serve others and make new friends, plus you'll get a free ticket for the event! Team members can also have 3 meals per day provided at a small cost of £15 and full access to the Team Lounge when not on duty. (Please note that responsibilities, age restrictions, ticket and meal allocations vary, so check out the individual team pages for full details).
When can I apply?
- Team applications will open in July 2020 and will remain open until places have been filled. When creating a booking for our United event, you will be able to select which team you are interested in. Once you have confirmed your booking you will receive an automated email with instructions on how to apply (please check spam folders). You will also be able to view and complete your application via your New Wine account as soon as you have confirmed your booking. There will be a delay in processing your application due to many of the team being furloughed in 2020 but we will get back to you after September 30.
- If you are under 18, you will need to be booked on with an adult in order to apply for team. The system will not allow you to book by yourself.
Scroll down (or look right) for our full list of Teams and, just for fun, take our quick quiz to see which team suits you:
How to apply while booking your ticket
- Start your event booking.
- During the booking process, tick the box 'This person would like to join this event as a team volunteer'. Make sure you include a valid email address that no-one else uses.
- Once you've completed your booking, you can access the team application form by logging in and clicking My Account > Start application.
How to apply after you have booked your ticket
- Please contact the New Wine office on 0208 5676717 or firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of staff will add a team application to your booking.
When will I hear about my application?
Applications are considered at various points during the year and not on a first-come first-served basis. No team applications will be considered before 30 September. The status of your application will be displayed on your online account. Applications can only be considered when we have received your completed form, both references, and a DBS check if applicable.
Once the team leader has looked at your application and references and is happy to accept you on to the team, you'll receive further communication from them with instructions about training days and expectations about your team role.
Is my team place guaranteed?
Team places are limited and leaders need to consider each application to ensure that each team has the right balance of experience and ability. If you are not successful in your first choice of team, we will do our best to find you a place in another suitable team. Please note that an unsuccessful volunteer team application does not guarantee you a delegate place. If you are unsuccessful in your team application, you will need to purchase a delegate ticket (subject to availability).
When do I need to arrive?
Team members must arrive the day before the event begins (full details will be provided by your team leaders). You must let your team leader know as soon as possible if you are unable to arrive on time, as this may affect your team application.
What benefits do I get?
Please see the section below on benefits.
For more FAQs, visit our Help Centre
Some teams require you to undergo a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check (previously the Criminal Records Bureau). You can establish if the team you want to apply for requires a check by visiting your 'My Team Applications' page. Follow the link below for a list of offences covered by the check, which must therefore be disclosed.
Expectation for team members
Those who volunteer for New Wine teams at United do so based on their Christian profession and way of life. As a team volunteer, your conduct on site is expected to be consistent with New Wine's ethos and understanding of the teaching of the New Testament.
Part of New Wine’s ethos is our adherence to the Evangelical Alliance (EA) basis of faith and in submitting your team application you are acknowledging your acceptance to do the same.
New Wine wouldn’t exist without our army of volunteers – there are thousands! We know how important you are to the New Wine family and want to make sure you are valued. In the last year, we have introduced a commissioning service and a Teams Lounge to make your experience at United the best and most appreciated it can be.
We also have to abide by HMRC rules and regulations, and we regularly check in to make sure that we remain compliant. Similarly, we are members of the NCVO, to make sure we have excellent training and understand the latest best practice in volunteer management.
As a result of this, our volunteer guidelines are regularly updated to make sure we are clear and fair across the board.
As a volunteer we cover your expenses for being on site which includes your ticket, camping space and access to Teams Lounge. Food is provided for our volunteers who wish to eat in the Teams catering suite at a small charge of £15 per person. Self-catering whilst on team is of course also possible. Finally, everyone at a United event will pay a non-refundable £10 administration fee, including all team. In the case of team places this is to contribute to the significant costs of administering all the necessary management and administration, which New Wine meets the majority of centrally as an organisation.
Anything else is considered a taxable benefit by the HMRC and we are therefore unable to pay any additional gifts or offer any additional benefits, further to those already described above.